Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Only The Strong

During this morning's bootcamp workout, a few songs by the group Serapis Bey came on the shuffle.

Most everyone notices this Brazillian Portuguese group by the sound of an instrument called a berimbau.

The berimbau has a great sound, which won't receive justice from any description this guy could come up with, so I'll post a video of one of their songs:




This is a clip from the movie Only The Strong, starring Mark Dacascos (he's the one in the camo pants).

I used to study kung fu under Mark's dad, Shifu Al Dacascos, and I've had the pleasure of seeing all of the athletes in the video above perform live.

The martial art showcased in this movie is called Capoeira, and it is a phenomenal workout, let me tell you.

Capoeiristas combine dance, acrobatics, martial arts, and music to play a great game where the object isn't to hurt one another, but to outsmart each other. (And to show off a little, I'll be honest.)

This post doesn't have much to do with our bootcamp, really. But isn't that a neat video?

1 comment:

carrie krupp said...

Really cool video Luke! I didn't know you did Kung Fu. Did I ever tell you that I used to do Tae Kwon Do. :)

Carrie K.