Monday, November 24, 2008

Lose Fat With Roasted Elk Loin!

Dad and I in the Great Outdoors

My dad is an outdoorsy-type, with an abundance of grit and manly vim.

He and I enjoy experimenting with wild meats, the only difference is that I buy my meat in the grocery store and he hunts it down with a sharp stick.

Here's a simple recipe he sent me for preparing elk loin:


Roasted Elk Loin
  • 1 1/2 pounds elk loin (substitute venison or beef tenderloin if you can't find elk)
  • 1 t. juniper berries
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously season the elk meat with salt, pepper, and ground juniper.

Heat a saute pan to just below smoking point with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Sear the elk on all sides, then roast in oven to an internal temperature of 120 degrees.

Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Why eat elk meat? Simple, it is low fat, high protein, very delicious, and it hasn't been pumped full of any steroids or other hormones like farm-raised cattle has.


Elk Loin

No comments: